ISWIM FOR JENNY
Our first iSwim for Jenny was a huge success with teams and individuals swimming laps raising $3,000 for the Swim for Jenny Fund.
A special thanks to the Kiwanis Club of Kendall/South Dade for their participation in iSwim for Jenny and their generous contribution to the Swim for Jenny Fund.
iSwim for Jenny, August 10-16, 2013
iSwim for those who can’t!
If you like to swim, then why not take part in iSwim for Jenny, a fundraising event where participants swim cumulative number of laps of a pool to raise funds for learn-to-swim lessons for South Florida kids. iSwim for Jenny is a fundraiser for the Swim for Jenny Fund, a fund created in honor of Jenny Nguyen, a South Florida teen who suffered a drowning accident in 2011 because she did not know how to swim. The Swim for Jenny Fund provides Miami-Dade County youth with water safety information and scholarships for learn-to-swim lessons to children who can’t afford it.
To take part in the iSwim for Jenny, you must fill out the Pledge/Registration form and each swimmer is encouraged to solicit donations from family, friends, neighbors, and local businesses. Pledge/Registration forms can be downloaded below or can be picked up at participating Miami-Dade Parks’ pools.* All donations must be collected BEFORE iSwim for Jenny and must be turned in on Friday, August 16, from 1-4 p.m. at any of the four pools listed below. You can ask for a flat donation fee for the event (i.e., $10) or donations can be made per lap with the promise of doing a set number of laps per lengths of the pool (i.e., $0.05/length for 100 lengths = $5).
iSwim for Jenny will take place during the week of August 10-16, 2013 at Miami-Dade Parks’ Pools* and other participating pools.**
Rules and Regulations
• Participant must be at least six years of age.
• Swimmer must swim their lengths by freestyle, backstroke or breast stroke.
• Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by parent.
• Certified lifeguard must be present and on stand when entering the pool.
• All other pool rules apply. Dade County lifeguards will enforce any pool rules or discipline to maintain a safe facility.
• Each swimmer is responsible for counting their own laps, to then later record their total number of laps onto a pledge form.
• The pledge is based on an honor system.
• All laps must be completed during the event times (a week).
• Parents/guardians are responsible for the supervision and safety of their children.
• This event is a smoke, drug and alcohol-free event.
• If you are not a confident swimmer you can use flippers or lifejacket to assist you in the swim.
• Make sure you stay hydrated and energy levels up if you plan on swimming a long distance.
• No diving in the shallow end.
• Please be mindful of other swimmers in your lane – keep to the left where possible.
Swimming must be done at your neighborhood lifeguard community pool** and/or one of the Miami-Dade Parks* aquatic facilities/donation collection sites, listed below:
AD Barnes Pool Palm Springs North Pool
3401 SW 72 Avenue, Miami, FL 7901 NW 176 Street, Miami, FL
South Dade Pool (Helen Sands) Tamiami Pool
16350 SW 280 Street, Miami, FL 11201 SW 24 Street, Miami, FL
**If your swimming team should want to use a different pool than those listed above, or to register your community pool as an official site for the iSwim for Jenny, please contact Jim O’Connor at A.D. Barnes Pool at (305)665-1626** (All donations must still be turned into the four approved Miami-Dade Parks' aquatic facilities/donation collection sites listed above).
Miami-Dade County Parks offers year-round swimming lessons! Classes run in two-week sessions, Monday through Friday. All lessons are taught by American Red Cross-Certified Water Safety Instructors and teach aquatic safety in a logical progression.
Miami-Dade Parks’ year-round pools:
• A.D. Barnes Pool
• Tamiami Pool
• Palm Springs North Pool
Water Safety Instructors can teach aquatic safety in a logical progression.
Visit the Parks website for more information on year-round and seasonal pools open throughout the summer months: http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/facility-find_pool.asp
Check Presentation before the Board of County Commissioners
April 16, 2013
On April 16, 2013 at 8:30 a.m., there was a check presentation made to the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade by three of our Swim for Jenny Memorial Fund elite donors – Assurant ($10,000), AvMed Health Plans ($10,000), and the Larry Little Legends Golf Tournament Committee ($15,000). Their generous donations will allow the Swim for Jenny Memorial Fund to provide scholarships to children across South Florida so that they can receive beginner swim lessons, thus preventing unnecessary potential child drowning incidents.Learn more
Gifts to the Parks Foundation are tax-exempt as allowed by law according to I.R.S. regulations. The Parks Foundation has complied with registration requirements of Chapter 496, Florida Statutes, the Solicitation of Contributions Act. A copy of the original registration and financial information may be obtained from the division of consumer services by calling toll-free 1-800-435-7352 within the state of Florida. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation by the state.